Why Organic Cotton?
Shopping clothes for babies, kids, a young family, and even yourself during phases like pregnancy and nursing, can be quite both exciting and overwhelming at times, especially if one is a new parent!! As a consumer, you may feel your head spinning at times, with numerous marketing promos and social media influencers promoting garments as ‘organic’, ‘fair trade’, ‘free of nasties’, and so on.
So, here are a few useful tips on choosing the right fabrics and garments for your young family.
Pregnant or nursing mums:
- Choose comfortable, 100% organic cotton or bamboo garments, during summer to keep your body cool, as cotton is a natural fabric that is breathable, absorbs sweat and is skin friendly.
- It is best to avoid synthetic fabrics like elastin, chiffon, and georgette.
- Your body is sensitive during pregnancy and so it is important to keep warm during winter with soft and natural merino wool, especially New Zealand wool!
Babies and toddlers:
- Infancy is the fastest growth phase for babies. Select clothing that is appropriate for your child, geographic region, and season (temperature and humidity) you are in.
- Choose clothes and footwear that are ergonomic (good fit) and made of breathable fabric like organic cotton or bamboo for summer and merino wool for winter.
- Dress your baby in layers, so that it is easy to add or remove a garment.
- Ensure that clothing is made from natural fibres like cotton and wool, to help keep their body temperature even. The optimal temperature for babies is usually between 180 to 200
Why organic cotton?
Cotton is one of nature’s best gifts to mankind. It is known for its comforting breathability, natural hypoallergenic property, and tactile softness which are especially beneficial for the sensitive and porous skin of babies.
What’s the difference between organically grown cotton and conventionally farmed cotton?
- Conventionally farmed cotton is one of the most chemically dependent crops, using up to 25 different pesticides and fertilizers, many of them which are toxic, even carcinogenic to humans.
- Certified organic cotton is grown without the use of toxic synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers. In its place, farmers practising organic cotton production use farming techniques that focus on soil and plant health.
- Organic cotton uses less energy, releases less greenhouse gas, does not contaminate groundwater, and, due to improved soil quality, uses significantly less water and hence has a lower carbon footprint on our planet.
- Harsh, synthetic, nitrogen-based fertilizers used in conventional cotton farming dramatically increase its environmental footprint by contaminating the atmosphere, water supply and contributing to the highest-impact greenhouse gas.
- Conventional cotton farming can pose serious health risks to the farmers and farming communities, particularly in areas where proper use guidelines are not practised.
- Conventional cotton products can cause skin irritations such as eczema and other health effects due to residues of pesticides and chemical agents, particularly formaldehyde and bleaches, that are part of the finishing process.
You may have seen clothing labels with the word ‘GOTS. What is GOTS all about?
Here’s the good news!!
- Global Organic Textile Standard or GOTS is recognized as the world's leading processing standard for textiles made only from organic fibers.
- GOTS-certified organic cotton is produced using no toxic chemicals throughout the entire production process from the cotton farm till it reaches the consumer, ensuring a healthier working environment for farmers and garment workers, and a healthier, higher-quality product for the end user.
- It also means that the product is fair-trade, ensuring that it was produced under safe, healthy, and equitable conditions for workers in countries where cotton is farmed. You can learn more from https://www.global-standard.org/
Paul and Paulie’s garments
Our garments for babies and children are proudly designed in New Zealand, inspired by the exquisite natural beauty around us. They are produced from premium GOTS certified organic cotton. Not only is our cotton grown according to globally recognised standards, but the entire production process is certified by GOTS and Oeko-Tex Standard 100! We have deliberately chosen to use fabrics made from organic cotton that are not only good for you and your children but also for people involved in making them and the environment. Child safe and planet friendly! Win-win all the time!!!
Trust this is beneficial for you! You are welcome to contact me if you have any questions. 😊