Why Organic Cotton?
Cotton is one of nature’s gift to mankind. Cotton is known for its comforting breathability and touching softness which are especially beneficial for the sensitive skin of babies.
Paul and Paulie Organic Cotton garments for babies and children up to the age of three years, are designed and created from premium 100% organic cotton, which are GOTS certified. Our organic cotton is grown without the use of harsh, toxic and persistent fertilizers and pesticides, sewage sludge, irradiation or genetic engineering. Not only is our cotton grown according to globally recognised standards but the entire production process is certified by GOTS, an accredited independent organisation, which is the best of the best!
Here at Paul and Paulie organic kidswear, we have deliberately chosen to use fabrics made from organic cotton that are not only good for you and your precious baby but also for people involved in making them and the environment.
Here are a few advantages of Organic Cotton against Conventional Cotton:
- Conventionally farmed cotton is one of the most chemically dependent crops, using up to 25 different pesticides and fertilizers, many of them which are toxic, even carcinogenic to humans.
- Organic cotton is grown without the use of toxic synthetic pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers. In its place, farmers practising organic cotton production use farming techniques that focus on soil and plant health, including crop rotation, companion planning, local plant varieties and beneficial insects.
- Organic cotton uses less energy, releases less greenhouse gas, does not contaminate groundwater, and, due to improved soil quality, uses significantly less water and hence has a lower carbon footprint on our planet.
- Harsh, synthetic, nitrogen-based fertilizers used in conventional cotton farming dramatically increase its environmental footprint. Excess nitrogen escapes into the atmosphere, streams and groundwater, contaminating the water supply and contributing to the highest-impact greenhouse gas.
- Conventional cotton farming can pose serious health risks to the farmers and farming communities, particularly in areas where proper use guidelines are not practiced. The finishing process for conventional cottons can involve numerous toxic chemicals, exposing mill workers to many health risks also.
- Conventional cotton products can cause skin irritations such as eczema and other health effects due to residues of pesticides and chemical agents, particularly formaldehyde and bleaches, that are part of the finishing process.
- Our GOTS-certified organic cotton is produced using no toxic chemicals throughout the entire production process from the cotton farm till it reaches the consumer, ensuring a healthier working environment for farmers and mill workers, and a healthier, higher-quality product for the end user.
- GOTS certified organic cotton also means that the product is fair-trade, ensuring that it was produced under safe, healthy and equitable conditions.
WHAT IS GOTS?
GOTS is recognized as the world's leading processing standard for textiles made from organic fibers. It defines high-level environmental criteria along the entire organic textiles supply chain and requires compliance with social criteria as well.
The aim of the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is to define requirements to ensure organic status of textiles, from harvesting of the raw materials, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing up to labelling in order to provide a credible assurance to the end consumer. Workers are not exposed to toxic chemicals (such as dyes) when working with GOTS-certified organic cotton yarn (inputs) and practices.
The use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) is prohibited in organic products.
Our garments are proudly designed in New Zealand, inspired by the exquisite natural beauty of the flora and fauna of ‘the Land of the long white cloud’.
Using 100% GOTS certified organic cotton, our garments are produced by our supplier under stringent international quality standards.
Our brand’s production takes place in India, which we visit annually to oversee production and ensure high social criteria are being met consistently. We visit our supplier’s manufacturing premises once a year to check that these standards are continuing to be met.
Learn more about GOTS, Oeko-Tex and SGS standards in the following links: